Here are our top tips based on the questions we get asked:
1. "Will there be other beginners?" Everyone starts as a beginner so fellow students are very welcoming.
2. "Do you have to be fit to start?" No! And getting fit is the reason many start 😀 You will be encouraged to go at your own pace and your fitness improves quickly in class.
3. "Is it heavy contact?" Contact in sparring and self defence training is an important part of learning but we start off very light and it is closely managed by the instructors and experienced students.
4. "What kit do I need?" Nothing is needed to come and try the classes, once you are ready you can speak to the instructors about uniforms.
5. "How often do students grade?" We really take our time with our students progress. It is important that students do not rush through grades and that they build a solid foundation at each rank before progressing. Black belt should take years to reach and it is WORTH IT!
6. "How flexible do you need to be?" Flexibility is different for everyone and something that gradually improves over time.
7. "Do I need to compete?" It's up to you. We have students that compete every chance they get, some that compete now and then and others who are not interested in competition. We focus on every students personal goals.
8. "Do you teach self defence?" Yes we focus on simple, practical and effective street defence.
OUR FINAL TWO TIPS:
9. Don't hesitate - lots of people say they'll wait until they are a but fitter. There's no need to wait! And your fitness will improve as you go!
10. Have fun! It's a great way to get fit and learn something new.